by David Oprava
The re-run TV glow on low,
shades slowed, he lays twitching
in samsaric-bug sutra wed to the bed
whose sheets crooked-swell in small
lapping wavelets stained
with lost semen washed across them;
this is his shipwreck.
His un-cut minnow strains chained
by the furious fist of a skipper's chubby choking,
fantasizing her amidst the strewn debris
of the last decade, whose idea was
it to take this boat into shallow water
he wonders as his harpoon shoots
more white whales in the deep.
Weeping, he sleeps off the sombre
and dreams sweet Mary Ann and Ginger
She left the key for the final time,
the ring of the phone taken off,
the finger thrown hard against
the wall where it lays next to dirty pants
lingering in that last glace and phrase,
Wraps himself in the sails
and stays bereft inside,
hiding from himself,
the real reason she left.
- ► 2010 (221)
- ► 2009 (484)
- our waitress at the farm themed restaurant
- SquamousCell Carcinoma
- HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS
- my father's drawer in the basement
- driving the wedge
- & alarm bells keep ringing
- getting dirty
- Jack Palance
- PUMP AND LADDER
- today, at the hospital
- what makes their eyes go dead?
- chapter one of my seventeenth life
- She Doesn’t Deserve This
- Bourbon Burlesque
- FORTUNATE SON
- DID WE?
- A moment in time
- Concrete jungle
- LOOKING FOR WORK, WEEK 5
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
- What I Saw When I Thought I Was Having a Heart-Att...
- Untitled Dream That Led Me To Stop Believing
- No Catchy Title
- Toe Salad
- sipping a screwdriver at the ghetto bar half mile ...
- Mary through the wall
- George W. Bush Ate My Pussy Then Paid Me $10,000
- monarchy no more
- My Train
- I felt like a hamburger
- NOT YET, BUT SOON
- Fractured Like Thin Glass And Glued Together Again...
- Ho-sehs run
- Franco Nero
- The Lakeside Lounge
- something like chekhov
- water on the brain
- ▼ December (41)