by George Anderson
It first appears as a spec
like the fleck on the outer
flesh of a suspect
In the days that follow it breaks the
surface of my left cheek-
its core splitting
open. Morphing. Forming a
black scab. Shedding. Then
cleaving open again:
I visit Thirroul Medical Centre
& Dr Walker refers me to a
plastic surgeon. I open his letter of referral. It reads:
‘Thanks for seeing the patient who has a ?BCC on his L pre auricular region for excision’.
Eight stabs of local & my cheek is numb in fifteen minutes.
I am asked to turn on my right side. Dr Salmon goes to work.
There is a quick deep cut of the blade
& an ice cream scooping motion 3-10mm below the scab.
A rough scraping back & forth like the scaling of a fish..
A spraying sound and the smell of burning flesh.
‘What I’m doing, reassures Dr Salmon, is using an electric probe to electro-desiccate any remaining microscopic cancer cells’.
I feel a tightening of flesh as it is stitched up in a series of sutured loops.
All done, he says.
I sit in the foyer waiting for my son to ring
I watch and take notes as patients come & go through the aluminium framed door
my bandage like a wide white sideburn in the window
A dull ache emerging.
*George Anderson's blog:
- ► 2010 (221)
- ► 2009 (484)
- our waitress at the farm themed restaurant
- SquamousCell Carcinoma
- HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS
- my father's drawer in the basement
- driving the wedge
- & alarm bells keep ringing
- getting dirty
- Jack Palance
- PUMP AND LADDER
- today, at the hospital
- what makes their eyes go dead?
- chapter one of my seventeenth life
- She Doesn’t Deserve This
- Bourbon Burlesque
- FORTUNATE SON
- DID WE?
- A moment in time
- Concrete jungle
- LOOKING FOR WORK, WEEK 5
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
- What I Saw When I Thought I Was Having a Heart-Att...
- Untitled Dream That Led Me To Stop Believing
- No Catchy Title
- Toe Salad
- sipping a screwdriver at the ghetto bar half mile ...
- Mary through the wall
- George W. Bush Ate My Pussy Then Paid Me $10,000
- monarchy no more
- My Train
- I felt like a hamburger
- NOT YET, BUT SOON
- Fractured Like Thin Glass And Glued Together Again...
- Ho-sehs run
- Franco Nero
- The Lakeside Lounge
- something like chekhov
- water on the brain
- ▼ December (41)