by Randall Rogers
Bukowski met a guy
once who didn’t drink didn’t smoke
“What the hell do you do then?” he asked
as if one had to fill the time of day drinking
or like Mao said a day without reading at least sixty pages
is a day wasted - Buk’s corollary is a day
not filled with drinking is a day frittered away
my cousin was like Bukowski
beer for breakfast and all day and night long
always had a beer in his hand
graduated to adding a quart or so of brandy to
and lasted about two and a half
years, before his liver went, then
all his organs started shutting down
and his heart stopped
and he croaked
No, it’s like a doctor friend once told me, "better to smoke than drink if you are gonna do either"
he told me
"you can live with just one lung,"
"but if the liver goes,
unless you get a transplant
Cousin was toast,
Kind of hope I don't
follow him in.
- ► 2010 (221)
- My Country Right But Wrong
- THE MAD GIRL, NOW WITH TIME FREE, JUST MAKES LISTS...
- THE MAD GIRL REMEMBERS THE ROOM UNDERGROUND
- Murray & Marie
- Literary Critic
- Adderall Floating Island Dream
- Miscommunicating by Poetry or My 2nd Ever Alyssa P...
- Golden Boy
- THE MAD GIRL REMEMBERS THAT YEAR ALL SHE LOOKED FO...
- THE MAD GIRL DREAMS SHE’S ALLERGIC TO CORDUROY
- The Night
- He was clueless in Gaza
- Day of the Dead
- THE MAD GIRL WAKES UP, DARKNESS BLOATING INSIDE HE...
- I Should Know By Now
- Looking For Answers
- No I’m Not Happy To Be Alive
- Wax Stripper
- THE MAD GIRL THINKS OF OTHER DECEMBERS
- I Made This Poem Up
- Letter to Pris
- Loving Norman
- THE MAD GIRL WANTS JULY TO SLOW DOWN
- Linda’s Place
- She Says I Like the Sun and She Likes the Night
- THE MAD GIRL ON HER MAD GIRL POEMS
- Glad that’s over with
- Holiday in Guantanamo Bay
- ▼ June (32)